Definition of Cooper's hawk in English:
A North American bird of prey resembling but smaller than the goshawk.
- Accipiter cooperii, family Accipitridae
- I looked below the feeding area and up flew a young Cooper's hawk with a house sparrow in its talons.
- A Cooper's hawk forced down a couple of black ducks crossing the marsh, but then passed over them - a practice attack maneuver.
- Occasionally, a Cooper's hawk streaks through the yard, creating quite a scare for both the birds and myself.
Early 19th century: named after William Cooper (1798–1864), American naturalist.
Definition of Cooper's hawk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.