Definition of Cooper's hawk in English:
A North American bird of prey resembling but smaller than the goshawk.
- Accipiter cooperii, family Accipitridae
- I looked below the feeding area and up flew a young Cooper's hawk with a house sparrow in its talons.
- A Cooper's hawk forced down a couple of black ducks crossing the marsh, but then passed over them - a practice attack maneuver.
- Occasionally, a Cooper's hawk streaks through the yard, creating quite a scare for both the birds and myself.
Early 19th century: named after William Cooper (1798–1864), American naturalist.
Definition of Cooper's hawk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan