Definition of Copt in English:
1A native Egyptian in the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
- When Muslim armies invaded Egypt, they were welcomed by the Egyptian Copts as liberators from Byzantine oppression.
- Outnumbered by the native Copts, they settled just north of the Christian town, within the area of modern Cairo, and dreamed of building a new Islamic city.
- Moreover, ethnically differentiated people have been lumped together, for example, the Copts and the Berbers are not ethnically the same people.
2A member of the Coptic Church.
- On the eve of both Christmas day and Easter day, Orthodox Copts break their fast with a variety of dishes made of beef and poultry.
- The Copts, an indigenous Monophysite Christian church, are the largest and most important minority, some 12% of the population.
- Aswan was once an important centre for Christian Copts.
Words that rhyme with Coptadopt, co-opt, opt
Definition of Copt in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan