Definition of Crustacea in English:
1A large group of mainly aquatic arthropods that include crabs, lobsters, shrimps, wood lice, barnacles, and many minute forms. They are very diverse, but most have four or more pairs of limbs and several other appendages.
- This would not be surprising if we consider extant marine arthropods such as Crustacea where it is usual that two or more planktonic larval stages occur prior to metamorphosis.
- Hemocyanins have been studied thoroughly only in the Chelicerata and the malacostracan Crustacea, but they have been identified in all arthropod subphyla, including the Myriapoda and Hexapoda.
- The complete sequence of the mitochondrial genome of the giant tiger prawn, Penaeus monodon (Arthropoda, Crustacea, Malacostraca), is presented.
1.1 (as plural noun crustacea) Arthropods of the group Crustacea.
- Here in Scotland we are lucky to have many stocked fisheries set in more natural surroundings than their southern counterparts, where the trout soon become accustomed to a natural diet of insects and crustacea.
- It is also a home for rare whales and weird fish, the breeding ground for two-and-a - half million seabirds and the silt in which dozens of previously unknown crustacea secrete themselves.
- They were out at the crab-huts, awaiting the moment the crustacea shed their shells, to pluck them from watery trays and packed off to dinner-tables in New York and London.
Definition of Crustacea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan