Definition of Delian in English:
Of or relating to Delos.
- It is surprising that standard handbooks on Delian architecture do not discuss the Corinthian order and therefore the elements in question.
- Even though all Delian houses include one large room, an oecus maior, the dimensions of this hall far exceed the standards of private dwellings.
- Basins of different shapes, sizes, and quality have been found in various Delian contexts, e.g., in sanctuaries, houses, and agonistic establishments.
nounBack to top
A native or inhabitant of Delos.
- The response to the oracle, which is assigned to the Delians in some versions, is to build a second altar identical to the first one and set it on top of the first.
- The bulk of the work was written during the war, the hideous course of which seemed day by day to enforce the profound truth conveyed in the answer of Plato to the Delians.
- Thus at Delos a marble lintel which came from a door in the shrine of Archegetes Anios, the heros archegetes of the Delians, bears the inscription ‘It is not lawful for a xenos to enter’.
Definition of Delian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan