Definition of Dermaptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the earwigs.
- Insects, such as Hymenoptera, Heteroptera, Coleoptera, Dermaptera, some Diptera, and some Lepidoptera have convergently developed an ability to attach their wings to the body when resting.
- Other insects from these sites include Odonata, Blattodea, Isoptera, Dermaptera, Heteroptera, Auchenorrhyncha, Trichoptera, and Diptera are presently documented on the basis of only a relatively few specimens.
- Rohdendorf and Hennig both hypothesized a relationship of the Dermaptera to the Dictyoptera (cockroaches, mantises, and termites).
dermapteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Nontarget insects caught in traps were counted and broadly categorized by order (e.g. small dipterans, dermapterans) or family or super family.
- We are establishing a molecular phylogeny for this group in order elucidate patterns of dermapteran diversification and evolution.
- Birds consumed dermapterans, orthopterans, arachnids, and coleopterans in proportions equal to the prey's availability and did not select for prey size.
Definition of Dermaptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan