- The alphabet used for Sanskrit, Hindi, and other Indian languages.More example sentences
- As mentioned earlier, from Hindustani have emerged two literary languages, Hindi in Devanagari script with literary and vocabulary borrowings from Sanskrit and Urdu in modified Arabic script with borrowings from Persian.
- Newari, a Tibeto-Burman language written in the Devanagari script, is spoken in the Kathmandu Valley.
- We know that they were acquainted with alphabetic writing in the form of the Devanagari alphabet in which the Sanskrit of the Buddhist scriptures was written and in the form of the Phags-Pa alphabet.
late 18th century: Sanskrit, literally 'divine town script', from deva 'god' + nāgarī (from nagara 'town'), an earlier name of the script.
More definitions of DevanagariDefinition of Devanagari in:
- The British & World English dictionary