(also Dewey system)
- An internationally applied decimal system of library classification that uses a three-figure code from 000 to 999 to represent the major branches of knowledge, and allows finer classification to be made by the addition of further figures after a decimal point.More example sentences
- Based on such an analysis, Orom has been able to discern a dominant view in, for example, the Library of Congress and Dewey decimal classifications.
- It's like having a librarian who doesn't read books or understand the Dewey system categorising your reading and telling you what you can read based on their worthless biases.
- This is a series of quizzes about how to use the Dewey system developed by the University of Texas at Austin.
late 19th century: named after Dewey, Melvil.
More definitions of Dewey Decimal ClassificationDefinition of Dewey Decimal Classification in:
- The British & World English dictionary