Definition of Diplopoda in English:
A class of myriapod arthropods that comprises the millipedes.
- This arthropod subphylum includes the Chilopoda, the Diplopoda, the Pauropoda, and the Symphyla.
- Less frequently they will also eat Diplopoda, Araneae, snails, crabs, tree frogs, lizards and fish (Actinopterygii).
- Scudder considered Archipolypoda to represent the ‘prototypes’ of Diplopoda and possibly also Pauropoda.
- Example sentences
- Major arthropod lines have long been recognized (insects, crustaceans, chelicerates, diplopods, chilopods, etc.), but the phylogenetic relationships among these groups remain controversial.
- The distribution of fossil oniscomorphs is not surprising as modern diplopods are common in tropical environments characterized by high rainfall.
- Several of the genera included in Archipolypoda by Hoffman have been rejected as diplopods.
Definition of Diplopoda in:
- British & World English dictionary