Definition of Dover sole in English:
Either of two flatfishes that are highly valued as food.
- ● A true sole that is common in European waters (Solea solea, family Soleidae). ● A relative of the lemon sole found in the eastern Pacific (Microstomus pacificus, family Pleuronectidae).
- Such favourites as herring, plaice, cod, Dover sole, haddock, monkfish, snapper, mackerel, sardines, scallops and tuna are all as wild as cheetahs and antelopes.
- A triumph of modern French cuisine, the short but sassy menu features lobster and smoked haddock soufflé, Dover sole with smoked eel, mackerel and pomme purée and crème of fromage blanc, peanut sable and ice cream for desert.
- Colclough said the river is now the largest Dover sole fishery in England and Wales.
Definition of Dover sole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India