- A country on the eastern part of the island of Timor in the southern part of the Malay Archipelago; population 1,131,600 (2009); capital, Dili; languages, Portuguese, Indonesian, English, and indigenous languages. Official name Timor Leste.
Formerly a Portuguese colony, East Timor declared itself independent in 1975. In 1976 it was invaded by Indonesia, which annexed and claimed it as their 27th state. The region was the scene of bitter fighting and of alleged mass killings by the Indonesian government and military forces. In a UN-supervised referendum in 1999, the people voted for independence from Indonesia. Violence continued, but on May 20, 2002, East Timor achieved international recognition as an independent state
- More example sentences
- And it has also been a very special trip because of the wonderful East Timorese independence celebrations.
- The cattle have been paid for by East Timorese supporters in New Zealand and are being donated to three different villages.
- Hear this East Timorese musician play live on the breakfast show on the eve of his solo album launch.
More definitions of East TimorDefinition of East Timor in:
- The British & World English dictionary