- A title of the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople.More example sentences
- The Ecumenical Patriarch (of Constantinople) holds a position of special honor but does not have the right to interfere in the internal affairs of other churches.
- Rome's refusal to acknowledge the bishop of Constantinople as Ecumenical Patriarch, the subservience of popes to emperors, even the use of unleavened bread in the Eucharist and the discipline of clergy figured more prominently.
- Now, over 500 years later, the Ecumenical Patriarch of the whole Greek Church continues to be based in Istanbul.
More definitions of Ecumenical PatriarchDefinition of Ecumenical Patriarch in:
- The British & World English dictionary