- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I: a lady in Elizabethan dressMore example sentences
- Marlowe and Shakespeare dominated late Elizabethan drama, although they did not monopolize it.
- He imagined the characters of Julius Caesar wearing Elizabethan dress, and equipped ancient Rome with a medieval invention - the mechanical clock.
- It is repeatedly referred to in Elizabethan drama, and influenced the policy of Thomas Cromwell, Cecil, and Leicester.
nounBack to top
- A person, especially a writer, of the time of Queen Elizabeth I.More example sentences
- The Elizabethans clothed this quest in poetry.
- Although he was to gain a posthumous reputation as the last of the great Elizabethans, in his interest in colonization as in so many other things Ralegh was the exception that proves the rule.
- The name Sir Walter Ralegh conjures up images of gallant Elizabethans and daredevil mariners in small boats defying hordes of Spaniards.
More definitions of ElizabethanDefinition of Elizabethan in:
- The British & World English dictionary