nounMusic , chiefly North American
- An alto woodwind instrument of the oboe family, having a bulbous bell and sounding a fifth lower than the oboe.More example sentences
- Berckmans is still on board, and his oboe, bassoon and English horn remain a major part of the group's mediaeval chamber music sound.
- She is playing oboe and English horn in the Academy Concert Band and the West Point Woodwind Quintet.
- Delicately scored for English horn, harp, and two percussionists, it was described by the composer as ‘a garden of sounds and silences.’
More definitions of English hornDefinition of English horn in:
- The British & World English dictionary