- 1Of, relating to, or denoting the second epoch of the Tertiary period, between the Paleocene and Oligocene epochs.More example sentences
- It includes the Palaeocene, Eocene, and Oligocene epochs, spanning the time from the end of the Mesozoic to the beginning of the Neogene.
- An early Cretaceous to late Eocene volcanic arc was located in the present-day Central Depression.
- Western Ecuador consists of a complex tectonic melange of oceanic terranes accreted to the continental margin from Late Cretaceous to Eocene time.
The Eocene epoch lasted from 56.5 million to 35.4 million years ago. It was a time of rising temperatures, and there was an abundance of mammals, including the first horses, bats, and whales
mid 19th century: from Greek ēōs 'dawn' + kainos 'new'.
More definitions of EoceneDefinition of Eocene in:
- The British & World English dictionary