Definition of Epicurean in English:
1A disciple or student of the Greek philosopher Epicurus.
- They lift the curtain on a hitherto unknown community of philosophical debate among Epicureans and with other schools.
- He was dealing with ‘certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoics’.
- Other schools of thought - the Stoics, the Epicureans, the Sceptics - dominated the philosophical stage, and the sciences developed separately from philosophy and became the domain of specialists.
1.1 (epicurean) A person devoted to sensual enjoyment, especially that derived from fine food and drink.
- Bird watchers, epicureans and natural food lovers can all take pleasure in this garden.
- Gourmands and epicureans aren't always nice, and they're not always entirely sane, but they are always interesting - and the best of them enlightening, in a way that transcends recipes and digestion.
- The day is not far off when chefs from 15-member-hotels of the South Indian Culinary Association will spread out a dream menu for epicureans.
adjectiveBack to top
1Of or concerning Epicurus or his ideas: Epicurean philosophers
More example sentences
- The ‘therapeutic’ understanding of emotion which was developed by Stoic and Epicurean philosophers out of Plato and Aristotle is a striking case of this convergence of contemporary feminism with some ancient philosophical concerns.
- One might conclude, as some did in antiquity, that Arcesilaus therefore had a hidden objective of undermining Stoic or Epicurean empiricism in favor of Platonic doctrine.
- Are we justified, for example (we being Epicurean philosophers living in Italy) in inferring that because all the humans we have observed are mortal, so are humans in hitherto undiscovered countries, such as Britain?
1.1 (epicurean) Relating to or suitable for an epicure: epicurean feasts
More example sentences
- Take a break from gorp and beef jerky and make lunch on a day hike an epicurean feast.
- Bored and whimsical, he indulges an idle, faintly epicurean interest in a beautiful boy sporting on the beach; then he is transfigured by epiphanic agony as the older man falls in love with the younger.
- The International Arts Festival has only just finished when lo and behold, the Crab Festival is upon us - a day of feasting on delicious crabs claws, crab sandwiches and crabs cooked in all manner of epicurean delight.