Definition of Eros in English:
1.1Sexual love or desire.
- This is not the love of Eros, but the love of Agape.
- She is a goddess, a notion of womanhood painted by a man self-confessedly driven by Eros.
- Part of what he was really attracted to in the Aboriginal culture and in the songs were their deep carnality, their Eros that drove the songs, and were so central to so many ceremonies.
1.2(In Freudian theory) the life instinct. Often contrasted with Thanatos.
- If the two pioneers had continued to collaborate, Freud might have recognized that his portrayal of Eros and Death as giants locked in perpetual combat is what Jung would have called an ‘archetypal’ vision.
- They show a more disquieting image of death because they evoke the encounter of Eros and Thanatos.
- Pornography distorts Eros, which pre-exists and persists, despite male culture's pornographic ‘revenge’ upon it.
1.3(In Jungian psychology) the principle of personal relatedness in human activities, associated with the anima. Often contrasted with Logos.
- The mother is abundantly endowed with Eros, the principle of love, intimacy, and relatedness, while the father is the living embodiment of Logos, the principle of reason, judgement, and discrimination.
- Jung called Eros the great binder and deliverer and he anticipated a growing awareness of the androgynous aspect of our personalities.
- By Eros, Jung meant a principle of psychic relatedness, whether to another human being, or indeed anything "other".
Definition of Eros in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan