Definition of Eurocommunism in English:
A political system advocated by some communist parties in western European countries, stressing independence from the former Soviet Communist Party and preservation of many elements of Western liberal democracy.
- But that whole concept of Eurocommunism or African communism is against the basic thrust of history.
- In Latin Europe, the communist parties weakened as the era of Eurocommunism waned.
- At the time it also developed a party line that came to resemble Eurocommunism, ostensibly independent of both the USSR and China.
Eurocommunist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The final 20 years exemplify this dual ideology - moving to the right of the Labour Party (and heralding ‘New’ Labour) in its Eurocommunist identity, while posing as the socialist conscience of CND and AAM.
- Gramsci's ideas influenced the Eurocommunist movement in Western Europe after World War II.
- At first, his ‘Eurocommunist’ course - signalled by a sharper demarcation from Moscow and rapprochement with social democracy - was enthusiastically supported by the United Secretariat.
Definition of Eurocommunism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan