Definition of Evenki in English:
noun (plural same or Evenkis)
1A member of an indigenous people of northern Siberia. Also called Tungus.
- Chapters one and eight frame the project, which is essentially a close examination of how Soviet power both made and unmade state subjects among the Evenki.
- Grounded in fieldwork done in 1988-89 and 1993-95, the study centres on Evenki associated with the ‘Red Star’ reindeer-herding collective farm at the village of Katonga (roughly 500 miles slightly northeast of Krasnoiarsk).
- Mengo highlighted the Russian peoples of that region - the Koryaks, Itelmen, Chuckhi, Evenki and Aleut - with their drumming, theatre and song.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Evenki or their language.
- It is particularly good on the disconnection between Evenki clan order and Russia's attempts to institutionalize iasak (tribute payments).
- The fireball would have stretched high into the sky, and the local Evenki tribesman must have thought that the world was coming to an end.
Definition of Evenki in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.