- His style reminds somewhat of French fauvism or German expressionism.
- He responded to some extent to post-impressionism and symbolism, but he disappointed critics who were coming to terms with cubism, fauvism, surrealism, and abstraction, which he despised.
- Pre-Columbian art's contribution to modernism fails to fit into the teleologically reconstructed development from post-impressionism, fauvism, and cubism to abstract expressionism.
from French fauvisme, from fauve 'wild beast'. The name originated from a remark of the French art critic Louis Vauxcelles at the Salon of 1905; coming across a quattrocento-style statue in the midst of works by Matisse and his associates, he is reputed to have said, “Donatello au milieu des fauves!” ( 'Donatello among the wild beasts').
- More example sentences
- In well-crafted chapters, Blake describes the interaction between primitivism and the fauvists, cubists, dadaists, surrealists, and, lastly, purists.
- Kirchner's paintings, with their vivid colours and emotional content, paralleled the art of the fauvists.
- Add lists of English portrait painters or fauvists.
Definition of Fauvism in:
- The British & World English dictionary