Definition of Fijian in English:
Of or relating to Fiji, its people, or language.
- In stark contrast to Hawaii, colonial law in Fiji enforced a distinctive Fijian way of life.
- Linguists (people who study languages) usually refer to the Fijian language as a mix of about 300 dialects.
- Even now - after final confirmation that the highly dangerous Fijian strain of flu has killed two children and is the suspected cause of a third death - public health officials are refusing to reveal where the cases happened.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Fiji, or a person of Fijian descent.
- Native Americans and Fijians firewalked and a number of Christian saints were said to have firewalked for their faith.
- All these developments will improve the real national welfare of Fijians by around 0.51 per cent.
- This is especially true for Tongans, Tahitians and Fijians.
2The Austronesian language of the indigenous people of Fiji.
- English is the official language in Fiji, though Fijian and Hindustani are also spoken.
- It is not clear whether languages other than English, Fijian or Hindi were included.
- Wesleyan Missionaries developed a written form of Fijian in 1850.
Words that rhyme with FijianActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, European, Galilean, Hasmonean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Jacobean, Kampuchean, Laodicean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sabaean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
Definition of Fijian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan