Definition of Filipino in English:
noun (plural Filipinos)
1 (feminine Filipina /ˌfiləˈpēnə/) A native or national of the Philippines, or a person of Filipino descent.
- And peace is something Filipinos in the southern Philippines have been waiting a long, long time for.
- Catholic priests immediately began to convert the native Filipinos to Catholicism.
- There are many Filipinos teaching in Thai schools around the nation.
2The national language of the Philippines, a standardized form of Tagalog.
- The official languages are Filipino, which is based on Tagalog with words from other native languages, and English.
- Among the immigrant population, English, Hindi, Urdu, Farsi, and Filipino are spoken.
- The playwrights quote texts in Filipino, the language of nationalism in the Philippines.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Philippines, the Filipinos, or their language.
- Later, journalists tracked him down to the Philippines, but the Filipino authorities were strangely unable to find him.
- However, the US ‘liberators’ of the Philippines would not allow Filipino troops to enter Manila, and refused to let them take part in the formal Spanish surrender.
- Thousands of US soldiers recently returned from the Philippines after training Filipino soldiers.
Spanish, from las Islas Filipinas 'the Philippine Islands'.
Definition of Filipino in:
- British & World English dictionary