- A high-level computer programming language used especially for scientific computation.More example sentences
- Back in the misty, early days of computing, famed computer scientist John Backus invented a programming language called Fortran.
- The models - actually complicated software written in a computer language called Fortran - attempt to account for everything happening in the atmosphere on a global basis.
- We had the same arguments with high level languages with Fortran in the Sixties.
1950s: contraction of formula translation.
More definitions of FortranDefinition of Fortran in:
- The British & World English dictionary