Definition of Fourierism in English:
A system for the reorganization of society into self-sufficient cooperatives, in accordance with the principles of the French socialist Charles Fourier (died 1837).
- A short two years after its induction into Brook Farm support for Fourierism began to diminish.
- In 1844 Chase founded the Wisconsin Phalanx as a group to implement Fourierism in Wisconsin.
- By offering a solution to economic problems, Fourierism brought the Brook Farmers in reach of their goals.
Fourierist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- The difference between the Functionalists on the one hand and the SaintSimonians and Fourierists on the other was that the former did not question the existing social and political order.
- Those who broke away from Enfantin began to call themselves Fourierists, although they no longer attacked marriage.
- While distinguishing between various schools of thought - Functionalist, Saint-Simonian, and Fourierist - Papayanis strongly objects to the conventional characterization of any of these schools as ‘utopian.’
Definition of Fourierism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India