Definition of Gael in English:
1A Gaelic-speaking person.
- The non-English parts of the UK have ten million Gaels, Celts, Picts, Irish, Scots and Vikings.
- The Gael and the Pict, the Angle and Dane, But so did the Irishman, Jew and Ukraine - They're all Scotland's story and they're all worth the same.
- In the 9th cent., Gaels and Picts were finally united under a Gaelic king, probably of mixed parentage.
from Scottish Gaelic Gaidheal.
- Example sentences
- As dynastic union looked likely to resolve the problems of England's northern frontier, the Tudor assimilation of Irish Gaeldom seemed the one outstanding question in regard to the unification of the British Isles.
- US Gaeldom and in particular the Gaels of Chicago mourned the untimely death of one of Kilkenny's finest ambassadors.
- However, one of Gaeldom's leading writers was less impressed.
Definition of Gael in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan