- A river in northern India and Bangladesh that rises in the Himalayas and flows southwest for about 1,678 miles (2,700 km) to the Bay of Bengal, where it forms the world’s largest delta. The river is regarded by Hindus as sacred. Hindi name Ganga.
- More example sentences
- These include the Aravallis, the Central Forest Belt, the East coast, the Eastern Ghats, the Gangetic plains, Northeastern India, the Shivaliks, the Western Ghats, west coast and the western Himalayas.
- Your journey has taken you from Montreal to the shores of Calcutta, up river to the arid Gangetic plain, from New Delhi and Jaipur to the Deccan plateau and, finally, to the isle of Bombay at the edge of the Arabian Sea.
- By 5.30 a.m. the many village ponds, with their ancient terracotta faced temples perched by the side turn a pale gold as the priest walks down the steps stirring up the ancient Gangetic silt.
More definitions of GangesDefinition of Ganges in:
- The British & World English dictionary