- The highest governing body of the Church of England, an elected assembly of three houses (bishops, clergy, and laity).More example sentences
- Before the proposal could take effect it would need two-thirds majorities in all three of the General Synod's houses - bishops, clergy and laity.
- Meanwhile, a joint Roman Catholic and Anglican report arguing that the pope should be recognised as the ‘universal primate’ is to be debated by the General Synod of the Church of England.
- The General Synod of the Church of England has begun the legal and administrative process that will culminate in the appointment of women bishops.
More definitions of General SynodDefinition of General Synod in:
- The British & World English dictionary