- Social relations based on impersonal ties, as duty to a society or organization. Contrasted with Gemeinschaft.More example sentences
- He has suggested that such communities preserve a residue of traditional Gemeinschaft amid the more individualistic and impersonal Gesellschaft of modernity.
- Any particular society is either an example of Gemeinschaft or Gesellschaft.
- It's a classic case of the way the Revolution pitted Gesellschaft against Gemeinschaft, modernity against tradition, universal values against local standards.
German, from Gesell(e) 'companion' + -schaft (see -ship).
More definitions of GesellschaftDefinition of Gesellschaft in:
- The British & World English dictionary