- A country in West Africa, with a southern coastline that borders on the Atlantic Ocean; population 23,887,800 (est. 2009); capital, Accra; languages, English (official) and West African languages. Former name (until 1957) Gold Coast.
Formerly a center of the slave trade, the area became the British colony of Gold Coast in 1874. In 1957, it gained independence as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations under the leadership of Kwame Nkrumah. It was the first British colony to become independent
- More example sentences
- Many Ghanaians can no longer afford the cost of clean drinking water, and according to the country's Ministry of Health 70% of all disease in the country is water related.
- A recent poll shows Ghanaians are more optimistic than most Africans about their future prospects.
- It was the name and logo of two short-lived Ghanaian periodicals.
More definitions of GhanaDefinition of Ghana in:
- The British & World English dictionary