Definition of Gila monster in English:
A venomous lizard native to the southwestern US and Mexico.
- Heloderma suspectum, family Helodermatidae
- Moreover, like many snakes - but unlike any other lizards - Gila monsters and beaded lizards are venomous.
- At rest, Gila monsters and beaded lizards have among the lowest metabolic rates ever measured in lizards - far lower than the rates in monitor lizards.
- The only poisonous lizards are the Gila monster and the beaded lizard, both of which live in the desserts of Mexico and Arizona.
late 19th century: named after Gila, a river in New Mexico and Arizona.
Definition of Gila monster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan