- A large-scale atmospheric convection cell in which air rises at the equator and sinks at medium latitudes, typically about 30° north or south.More example sentences
- The near-surface equatorward branch of the Hadley cell is transporting cool air to warmer regions.
- This movement causes the three Hadley cells in the northern hemisphere to ‘elongate’ southwards.
- This cell, in contrast to the Hadley cells, straddles the equator and thus is very asymmetric.
1950s: named after George Hadley (1685–1768), English scientific writer.
More definitions of Hadley cellDefinition of Hadley cell in:
- The British & World English dictionary