Definition of Hercules beetle in English:
A large tropical American rhinoceros beetle, the male of which has two long curved horns extending from the head and one from the thorax.
- Genus Dynastes, family Scarabaeidae: several species, including the eastern Hercules beetle (D. tityus) of the southeastern US
- In size they range from 0.25 to 0.3 mm to over 150 cm for the giant Goliath and Hercules beetles, which in size are the largest living species of insects.
- The largest beetle in the Americas is the Hercules beetle, which can be 4 to 6 inches in length.
- The Coleoptera also includes some of the largest insects, like the living Hercules beetle, Dynastes hercules.
Definition of Hercules beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan