A gall midge whose larvae are a pest of cereal crops, occurring in wheat-growing areas.
- Mayetiola destructor, family Cecidomyiidae
More example sentences
- Resistance in wheat to the Hessian fly, a major insect pest of wheat, is based on a gene-for-gene interaction.
- Plant breeders are constantly engaged in a vicious cycle, developing wheats that resist the Hessian fly… for a time.
- The Hessian fly spread from Long Island in 1777, and a more widespread impact began to be felt in 1778.
late 18th century: so named because it was supposed (erroneously) to have been carried to America by Hessian troops during the American Revolution.
Definition of Hessian fly in:
- The British & World English dictionary