Definition of Heteroptera in English:
1A group of true bugs in which the forewings are nonuniform, having a thickened base and membranous tip. The predatory and water bugs belong to this group, as well as many plant bugs. Compare with Homoptera.
- Suborder Heteroptera, order Hemiptera
- To date, 10 insect orders, Homoptera, Heteroptera, Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Diptera, Odonata, Isoptera, Orthoptera, and Dictyoptera, have been recorded to be hosts of Cordyceps species.
- Other insects from these sites include Odonata, Blattodea, Isoptera, Dermaptera, Heteroptera, Auchenorrhyncha, Trichoptera, and Diptera are presently documented on the basis of only a relatively few specimens.
- Insects, such as Hymenoptera, Heteroptera, Coleoptera, Dermaptera, some Diptera, and some Lepidoptera have convergently developed an ability to attach their wings to the body when resting.
1.1 (as plural noun heteroptera) Bugs of the Heteroptera group.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek heteros 'other' + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Heteroptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.