Definition of Hokan in English:
Relating to or denoting a group of American Indian languages of California and western Mexico, considered as a possible language family and including Yuman, Mojave, and several other languages now extinct or nearly so.
- Tlapanec is the most recent addition, having been tentatively linked with Hokan languages earlier.
- The Hokan languages include families of languages in Mexico and in the western part of the United States, especially in California.
- The Hokan language, a dialect of which is spoken by the Washo people, is apparently of great antiquity - it belongs to what is very likely the oldest of California languages.
nounBack to top
The hypothetical Hokan language family.
- Although some Hokan families may indeed be related, especially in northern California, few linguists today expect Hokan as a whole to prove to be valid, and the term is often used as a convenient label to simplify one of the most linguistically diverse areas of the world.
Definition of Hokan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan