- 1Of, relating to, or denoting the present epoch, which is the second epoch in the Quaternary period and followed the Pleistocene. Also called Recent.More example sentences
- Woolly mammoths, which are now extinct, lived from the Pleistocene to the early Holocene period from about 120,000 to 4,000 years ago.
- In the United States, stark latitudinal changes in vegetative cover were prominent during the transition from Pleistocene to Holocene conditions.
- At that point, around the time of the transition from the Pleistocene to the Holocene, a rapid warming began the shift toward modern climatic conditions.
The Holocene epoch has lasted from about 10,000 years ago to the present day. It covers the period since the ice retreated after the last glaciation and is sometimes regarded as just another interglacial period
late 19th century: coined in French from holo- 'whole' + Greek kainos 'new'.
More definitions of HoloceneDefinition of Holocene in:
- The British & World English dictionary