- 1A sanctimonious or pious man.More example sentences
- Now I am not painting John as a Holy Joe, it is just that the lad is sensible.
- Now do you really think that a Holy Mary would violate Gods Word?
- "He was a bit of a holy Joe, to be honest, but everyone liked him," said a contemporary at Trinity. "One of his best pals was the college chaplain."
- 1.1A clergyman.More example sentences
- When I was in the Air Force, we called our chaplain a "Holy Joe."
late 19th century: originally nautical slang.
More definitions of Holy JoeDefinition of Holy Joe in:
- The British & World English dictionary