- 1The primate species to which modern humans belong; humans regarded as a species. See also Homo.More example sentences
- It clearly belongs to our species Homo sapiens, but it defies attribution to a specific modern human group.
- This discovery bridges the gap between our earlier ancestors, Homo erectus, and modern humans, Homo sapiens.
- The scientists, DNA experts from Glagow University, have also discovered where the mysterious creature should go in the fossil record and the evolutionary chart of man and how it gave rise to modern humans, or Homo sapiens.
- 1.1A member of the Homo sapiens species, a human being.More example sentences
- We Homo sapiens are descended from bipedal primates - usually called hominids - that first appeared in Africa some 5 million years ago.
Latin, literally 'wise man'.
More definitions of Homo sapiensDefinition of Homo sapiens in:
- The British & World English dictionary