Definition of Horatian in English:
1Of or relating to the Roman poet Horace or his work.
- The reader will meet a veritable galaxy of rakes, atheistic clergy, philanthropic snobs, scholars, apothecaries and antiquarians in this elegant, witty, informative and, in true Horatian style, entertaining book.
- One reason I've only just found the time to jump in here with some Horatian glossing is that I've spent much of the last five weeks directing a version of A Christmas Carol with sixty ten- and eleven-year-olds in Paddington.
- The Horatian quote appears also in the new edition, but sharp-eyed readers will observe an emendation: the seventh word, very, has now been removed.
1.1(Of an ode) of several stanzas, each of the same metrical pattern.
- In a conventional Horatian ode, the next stanza would present the Stoic alternative.
- At the end of the workshop, he wrote a poem for us: ‘A Horatian Ode and Prayer at the End of Summer to My Buffalo Friends.’
- Unlike Pindarics, the Horatian ode (named after Horace) tends to be meditative, tranquil, and colloquial.
Words that rhyme with Horatianablation, aeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, duration, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oblation, oration, ovation, potation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vexation, vocation, zonation
Definition of Horatian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.