noun(in phrase according to Hoyle)
- According to plan or the rules.More example sentences
- So today, play by the rules and live your life according to Hoyle.
- The Ethics Commission, you'll recall, is the 10-year-old agency that decides whether the activities - particularly those involving campaign money - of the city's 18 elected officials are played according to Hoyle.
- Appoint some FBI lady to make sure things are done according to Hoyle.
early 20th century: from the name of Edmond Hoyle (1672–1769), English writer on card games.
More definitions of HoyleDefinition of Hoyle in:
- The British & World English dictionary