Definition of Hystricomorpha in English:
A major division of the rodents that includes the guinea pigs, porcupines, coypu, and their relatives. They occur chiefly in South America.
- Suborder Hystricomorpha, order Rodentia
- The Guinea Pig, Cavia porcellus, is a mammal of the order Rodentia, sub-order Hystricomorpha and family Caviidae.
- The Old World members of this group are sometimes placed in a separate group called the porcupine-like rodents (Hystricomorpha).
- Example sentences
- The myomorph and sciuromorph taxa are included in the Sciurognathi, while most hystricomorphs are in the Hystricognathi.
- Nevertheless, hystricomorph rodents are an exception among mammals, possessing an insulin molecule with many amino acid substitutions.
Pronunciation: /ˈhistrikōˌmôrf/noun& adjective
Definition of Hystricomorpha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan