(also Iceland lichen)
Definition of Iceland moss in English:
A brown, branching lichen with stiff spines along the margins of the fronds, growing in mountain and moorland habitats. It can be boiled to produce an edible jelly.
- Cetraria islandica, order Parmeliales
- The two lichens of economic importance are Iceland moss, Cetraria islandica, and reindeer moss, Cladonia rangiferina.
- On our moss-covered trails, mats of shrubby gray reindeer lichen and Iceland lichen are common.
- In excessive doses or with prolonged use, Iceland moss can cause gastric irritation and liver problems.
Definition of Iceland moss in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan