Definition of Indian elephant in English:
The elephant of southern Asia, which is smaller than the African elephant, with smaller ears and only one lip to the trunk. It is often tamed as a beast of burden in India. Also called Asian elephant.
- Elephas maximus, family Elephantidae
- Elephants have massive ossicles with total weight in the Indian elephant of approximately 650 mg.
- Local tradition holds that the East India Trading Company gifted Indian elephants to the Sultan of Sulu (a nearby island) in 1750.
- Sometimes called the Indian elephant, this animal is also found in the dense forests and grassy plains of Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Malaya, and Sumatra.
Definition of Indian elephant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan