Definition of Indian pipe in English:
A plant with a yellowish stem that bears a single drooping flower, native to North America and northeastern Asia. It lacks chlorophyll and obtains nourishment via symbiotic fungi in its roots.
- Monotropa uniflora, family Monotropaceae
- The Indian pipe is a saprophyte, living chiefly on the decaying roots of other plants, particularly trees.
- The flowers are inodorous, and appear from June until September; their resemblance to a pipe has given rise to the names Indian pipe or Pipe-plant.
- They appear to be parasitic on the fungi as no benefit to the fungus from its association with the Indian pipe has been discerned.
Definition of Indian pipe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia