A plant with a yellowish stem that bears a single drooping flower, native to North America and northeastern Asia. It lacks chlorophyll and obtains nourishment via symbiotic fungi in its roots.
- Monotropa uniflora, family Monotropaceae
More example sentences
- The Indian pipe is a saprophyte, living chiefly on the decaying roots of other plants, particularly trees.
- The flowers are inodorous, and appear from June until September; their resemblance to a pipe has given rise to the names Indian pipe or Pipe-plant.
- They appear to be parasitic on the fungi as no benefit to the fungus from its association with the Indian pipe has been discerned.
Definition of Indian pipe in:
- The British & World English dictionary