Definition of Inuit in English:
- In the United States and Europe, this disorder is most common in Ashkenazi Jews, followed by Hispanics, Yugoslavs, Native American Inuits, and Italians.
- My background is Inupiaq Eskimo, which is the northern most tribe of Inuits in Alaska.
- The member of a very rare blood group most often found among Inuits of northern Canada.
- While Aleut is considered a separate language, Eskimo branches into Inuit and Yup'ik.
- The story about Inuit (or Inuktitut, or Yup'ik, or more generally, Eskimo) words for snow is completely wrong.
- The infamous Eskimo snow words meme is spread by people who don't know about Inuit or any related language.
adjectiveBack to top
- First were short films and then TV shows, which were produced to preserve and enhance Inuit culture and language while providing gainful employment to the community of Igloolik.
- Jacob Gronlykke's Heart Of Light is the first full-length and epic style feature film shot entirely in the Inuit language.
- I have suggested that there exists a range of signed languages, including an indigenous signed language, among the Inuit people of Nunavut.
Inuit, plural of inuk 'person'.
The peoples inhabiting the regions from northwestern Canada to western Greenland speak Inuit languages (Inuit in Canada, Greenlandic in Greenland) and call themselves Inuit (not Eskimo). Inuit has official status in Canada, and is used in the US as a general synonym for Eskimo. This, however, is inaccurate because the Inuit are not among native Alaskans (who speak Inupiaq, or Yupik, which is also spoken in Siberia). Since neither Inupiaq nor Yupik is in common US usage, only Eskimo includes all of these peoples and their languages. See also Eskimo (usage).
Definition of Inuit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.