- A political scandal of 1987 involving the covert sale by the US of arms to Iran. The proceeds of the arms sales were used by officials to give arms to the anticommunist Contras in Nicaragua, despite congressional prohibition. Also called Irangate.
The sale occurred during the presidency of Ronald Reagan, at a time when official relations between the countries were suspended (and while Iran was at war with Iraq), and was followed by the release of American hostages held in the Middle EastMore example sentences
- According to the Times, the plan was similar to one used by the Reagan administration to fund the Contras in Nicaragua through Iran in the Iran-Contra affair from 1983-88.
- Unhappiness with the Reagan administration centered on the Iran-Contra affair, a genuine scandal in my opinion, but one that should not have over-shadowed the peace and prosperity of the Reagan years.
- Presidents Reagan and Bush denied prior knowledge of the Iran-Contra affair, as the scandal came to be called.
More definitions of Iran–Contra affairDefinition of Iran–Contra affair in:
- The British & World English dictionary