Definition of Irish in English:
Of or relating to Ireland, its people, or the Goidelic language traditionally and historically spoken there.
- Either way, all Irish people spoken to yesterday were affected in some way by the atrocities.
- Even more urgent was the need to find a response to Irish demands for independence.
- The Irish criticism of the British position is not as strong as that of other countries.
nounBack to top
1 (also Irish Gaelic) The Goidelic language that is the first official language of the Republic of Ireland.
- Microsoft Office programmes such as Word and Excel will also be translated into Irish.
- Irish is quite a different language and we require key documents translated into Irish.
- Such an arrangement would address the practical modalities of translation for Irish.
2 (as plural noun the Irish) The people of Ireland; Irish people collectively.
- A similar strategy was also employed against England's other national enemy, the Irish.
- It also aided their hopes of assimilating the Irish in Scottish society and extending their own influence.
- Traditionally, the British are great actors, as are the Scottish and the Irish.
- 1get one's Irish up
- Cause one to become angry: if someone tries to make me do something I don’t want to do, it gets my Irish upMore example sentences
- Well in that case, here's something that might get your Irish up.
- Fortunately or unfortunately, I got his Irish up when I compared his behavior to the tobacco company executives swearing that they had no idea that nicotine was addictive.
- What gets my Irish up about all this of course is how he was attacked when he died.
- Example sentences
- John Hume's brain wave of issuing a certificate of Irishness to the millions of people around the world who claim Irish descent - at a price of course - is pretty ingenious.
- The fact that ‘we’ were in their country for a few hundred years might be considered a good reason to be thoroughly well acquainted with ‘what Irishness is’.
- And, in this regard, Harry believed that his Irishness was a help in befriending the Nigerians as it did not carry with it the colonial baggage of the former rulers.
Words that rhyme with Irishnightmarish
Definition of Irish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.