Definition of Irish elk in English:
An extinct giant European and North African deer of the Pleistocene epoch, with massive antlers up to 10 feet (3 m) across. Also called giant deer.
- Megaloceros giganteus, family Cervidae
- Scientists at University College London studied DNA and skeletal remains of the extinct giant deer, or Irish elk, to construct its family tree.
- The antlers of the giant deer, or Irish elk, grew as large as 10 feet across.
- The Irish elk finally went extinct when the antlers became so large that the animals could no longer hold up their heads, or got entangled in the trees.
Definition of Irish elk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan