Definition of Israelite in English:
1A member of the ancient Hebrew nation, especially in the period from the Exodus to the Babylonian Captivity (circa 12th to 6th centuries bc).
- The Temple of the ancient Israelites is the original Hebrew expression of pagan consciousness.
- The Hebrew Bible written by the ancient Israelites, was adopted by the Early Christians.
- Unlike their exodus over four centuries later, the Israelites ' entry into Egypt was under very favorable circumstances.
1.1 old-fashioned and sometimes offensive term for Jew.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Israelites.
- Donald Senior stated it nicely in his article ‘Between Two Worlds: Gentile and Israelite Christians in Matthew's Gospel.’
- The same can be said of Israelite tradition.
- Zechariah spoke in a world dominated by traditional Israelite enemies.
Definition of Israelite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan