- 1A member of the ancient Hebrew nation, especially in the period from the Exodus to the Babylonian Captivity (circa 12th to 6th centuries bc).More example sentences
- The Temple of the ancient Israelites is the original Hebrew expression of pagan consciousness.
- The Hebrew Bible written by the ancient Israelites, was adopted by the Early Christians.
- Unlike their exodus over four centuries later, the Israelites ' entry into Egypt was under very favorable circumstances.
- 1.1 old-fashioned and sometimes offensive term for Jew.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to the Israelites.More example sentences
- Donald Senior stated it nicely in his article ‘Between Two Worlds: Gentile and Israelite Christians in Matthew's Gospel.’
- The same can be said of Israelite tradition.
- Zechariah spoke in a world dominated by traditional Israelite enemies.
late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek Israēlitēs.
More definitions of IsraeliteDefinition of Israelite in:
- The British & World English dictionary