Definition of Issa in English:
noun (plural same or Issas)
A member of a Somali people living in Djibouti.
- However, the Issas presently dominate the government, civil service, and the ruling party, a situation that has bred resentment and political competition between the Somali Issas and the Afars.
- The Somali Issa have a creation myth that portrays their common ancestor - named Aqiil Abuu Taalib - as a holy man from Arabia.
- Afar have a traditional preference for patrilateral cross-cousin marriage; the Issa and other Somalis are less strict.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Issa.
- All in all, Issa pieces are unique and definitely worth the second glance.
- The chamber of deputies consisted of 33 Issa representatives, and 32 Deputies of the Afar people.
- In traditional Afar and Issa beliefs, shaped by the continuity of patrilineal ideology, the soul of a deceased rejoins the ancestors, who are occasionally appealed to by the living descendants.
the name in Somali.
Definition of Issa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan