- 1US Law An anonymous female party, typically the plaintiff, in a legal action.More example sentences
- She said Jane Doe's lawyers asked Verizon to withhold her name because she was planning on challenging the subpoena.
- Education officials were not negligent in their duty to protect a former Jonathan Law High student from sexual exploitation by her basketball coach, a Superior Court judge has ruled. Judge Gerald Esposito dismissed the lawsuit brought by the young woman, identified in court documents only as "Jane Doe."
- 1.1 • informal A hypothetical average woman. See also John Doe.More example sentences
- For a Jane Doe such as myself the sight of all this hardware with massive antenna extended and satellite dishes pointing to the heavens was staggering.
- Sadly, there's no shortage of John and Jane Does here: 11 of the 66 people who died on the street in 2002 and 2003 did so without anyone even knowing their names.
- They also named a number of anonymous Jane Does - individual consumers who have been using Napster.
More definitions of Jane DoeDefinition of Jane Doe in:
- The British & World English dictionary